Friday, June 24, 2011

Quilt Progress

I'm having so much fun in this modern quilting class. I'm so glad I did it because I never would have tackled a first quilt project on my own. There are always just too many other things on my list to make. But I've had to keep working on the quilt to keep up with the class schedule. On my own, I might have let it languish in a WIP pile for months. And I've still been able to do some of my instant gratification projects at the same time, but I also have this big beautiful thing that is teaching me patience in the process. And the pay-off in the end is going to huge- that is if I don't screw it up.

I knew it was going to be a long process with lots of steps, but I really had no idea how many steps there are and how long they all can take. Each step comes with it's own little payoff though.





This week I pieced together all the blocks and made the back. In class we practiced machine quilting and I made my sandwich. I wished I had brought my old volleyball knee pads from college for this part. It really made me nervous because I wanted to get everything straight and in the right place. That is the whole idea I guess...



This was my practice quilting. I've decided on this echoing X kind of design on my quilt. I probably won't do the lines this close together because I'd like to actually finish this year. But I think the diagonal lines will look cool on all the right angles of the blocks. That top section was where I attempted a little free motion. Yeah, I pretty much sucked at that. I would like to practice more though, I can see how it could be really fun. It's just so hard to keep all the stitches the same length! 



 And I just had to show this picture of my classmate June's quilt top. Didn't she make the most genius fabric choices? It's gorgeous.



I've been following a lot of quilting blogs lately. I just can't stop looking at all the pretty pictures. And it seems like all you quilt bloggers just crank them out so fast. I found a mom of 3 yesterday who made 20 last year. Whattt?

Also, I might be a little bit crazy because I joined Rachel's do.Good Stitches bee. But I'm excited because when class is over I need something to keep me motivated and learning. It's going to be really fun and collaborative and the quilts go to great causes. I think Rachel's blog has been the most inspirational to me in my quilting. She is amazing and super nice and her blog is always educational and full of eye candy. That's a good combo. If you have any interest in quilting at all, go look around Stitched in Color. And of course, also check out our awesome teacher Heather. She knows her stuff, has an amazing vintage quilting machine that gives crazy texture, and her modern designs are the bombdotcom. Did you enjoy that bit of 10 year old slang? You know you did.






11 comments:

  1. It looks so good and so does your classmate's quilt, is it bad I could name the designer of the fabric instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at quilting blogs makes me buy more fabric. It feeds my habit - I have to limit myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great and i think that x quilting will be awesome! good luck and have fun finishing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this quilt. I've been looking for a good pattern for some fabric I've been hoarding for a full-sized quilt, and I'm thinking this one might be the inspiration I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore it! I'm a newbie here what a lovely blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you varied the stripe widths! It is looking awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love yours! This is your first quilt? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, omg, I can't believe how kind you are! I don't think I've ever had such a sweet compliment. Thank-you!

    Second, your quilt is looking so fabulous! I totally love all the movement, and yet the simplicity of the solids. That quilting design looks quite snazzy. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so great! And your practice quilting is pretty dang impressive. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.