Thursday, May 27, 2010

Easy Toddler Dinners

When Hendrix was still very little, I read somewhere that babies can eat pretty much any food adults can. They just need the mushy versions to start off, but once they chew, really anything is game. I like this idea because it would be a great joy to me if he does not turn out to be a picky eater. I know this is not completely in the control of parents, but I can try. (Of course, you have to be careful about allergies. Some people are careful until kids are two, but I just tried to wait until one. HG eats eggs and peanut butter and even fish now.)


So keeping this idea in mind, I often give him the same things we are eating for dinner, or the leftovers the next day, or even the thai foods Nick brings home from the restaurant. But when none of those things are handy, I have a few quick and easy go-to dinners.

Cooking a pack of pre-made stuffed pasta is one of my favorites to make because the two of us can usually split it with a little left-over for his lunch the next day.


I buy the spinach tortellini or ravioli from the refrigerated section and after I boil it up, I toss it in a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano and parmesan cheese. Sometimes I add garlic too. He goes nuts for it. 

Some other easy favorites that make a good dinner with a fruit or veg added:
- an egg scrambled, with salsa added (he likes medium.)
- a microwaved cheese quesadilla (also good with salsa.)
- a baked potato or sweet potato
- simple grilled chicken breast, or chicken prepared this way.
- alphabet pasta with canned tomato sauce added.

I'm always looking for more fast ideas- what are your favorite quick kid dinners?


4 comments:

  1. i don't know if you (or your little man) like tuna fish, and i know it's a tad higher in mercury than we'd all like...but it's cheap and can't hurt once in awhile. my mom used to make "tuna melts" with a plain bagel, layed open face on a cookie sheet. she's prepare the tuna however we liked it (mayo, pickles mixed in, etc.) then spread it on the bagel and put slices of cheese on top. a few minutes under the broiler and we were done. i still make them. only for myself of course. and when tim's not here to say the whole house stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pasta looks delicious and the picture of Hendrix makes me so excited because we are coming to see you all tomorrow! I love the simple cooking you do, it's an easy gourmet style. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge supporter of feeding our kids what we eat. Always do and they eat very well. (well, except Ezra who for some reason just likes protein!) Elliot eats more stuff than I eat! I love it! My kids love homemade mac-n-cheese and green beans. Also, chicken asparagus casserole goes over great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, where is HG's shirt from? i loove it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.